Chavan should bring white paper on irrigation: BJP
Mumbai: BJP on Tuesday said Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan should not to bow down to the pressure of its ally NCP and go ahead with his announcement on bringing a white paper on irrigation.
At a press conference here, Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council in the state Vinod Tawde said unease among NCP leaders over Chavan`s statement on white paper was very revealing.
The irrigation department has always been held by the NCP since Congress-NCP government came to power in 1999.
Last week, Chavan had promised to bring a white paper on irrigation while expressing concern that despite spending over Rs 70,000 crore in the last 10 years, the state`s irrigation capacity had increased by just 0.1 per cent.
However, the NCP was not very pleased with the announcement.
"If Chavan backs out of the announcement, he will have to face Opposition`s backlash and we would need to take legal recourse," Tawde said.
He said a white paper will enable the government to find out lacunae in the planning of irrigation policy, throw light on irregularities and prepare a long term strategy to improve the irrigation capacity.
Tawde also demanded a CID probe into the irregularities in irrigation department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray