Chavan to take up Salem extradition issue with MEA
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Wednesday said he would take up the issue of cancellation
of underworld don Abu Salem`s extradition, with the Ministry
of External Affairs (MEA).
"We will seek information on the case from the MEA and
also on what steps should be taken. It will not be proper to
comment on the matter based on media reports," Chavan told
A Portuguese high court has ordered termination of
extradition of Salem for breach of agreement by India for
slapping offences which attract death penalty.
It accused Indian probe agencies of violating the
conditions under which Salem was permitted to be taken to
India in November 2005 to face trial in eight cases including
the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
At the time of Salem`s extradition six years ago, the
Indian government had given an assurance to Portugal that he
would not be given death penalty or charged with any section
of law which entails jail for more than 25 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof