Chavan`s decision to skip PM`s function "unfortunate": BJP
Mumbai: The BJP in Maharashtra Thursday termed as "unfortunate" Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s decision to boycott Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s programme in Nagpur and said Congress should introspect why people are "unhappy" with the state leadership.
Modi is scheduled to perform `bhumi-pujan` of a Metro project in Nagpur today.
"When the Chief Minister (Chavan) went to Vidarbha, he was booed by farmers. They were not BJP workers. The Congress needs to introspect why is the common man unhappy with the state leadership," BJP leader Vinod Tawde said.
"It is surprising and unfortunate that the CM is boycotting the PM`s programme. I had even called him yesterday and asked him to attend the programme," said the Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Council.
Taking an aggressive stand on the incidents of heckling at functions attended by Modi in Congress-ruled states, Chavan had yesterday said he would not attend today`s function in Nagpur.
At a function in Solapur on Saturday, where the Prime Minister inaugurated four-lane National Highway Number 9, Chavan had to stop speaking midway as alleged BJP supporters started chanting Modi`s name.
"The federal structure of the country has been undermined at the programmes in Congress-ruled states where the PM was present recently," Chavan had said.
BJP state spokesperson Madhav Bhandari also slammed the CM`s decision, saying it was an "insult" to the people of Vidarbha region.
"It is inappropriate for him (Chavan) to boycott today`s event. The Congress has always done injustice to the people of Vidarbha. Today, by boycotting the development work undertaken for the people of the region, they have once again insulted the people," he said.
During a previous event, Chavan, while speaking in front of the PM, tried to give a political speech which was not liked by the people and hence they reacted to it. But, the Congress has failed to understand the feelings of the common man, he charged.
"They are boycotting the event in Nagpur only because they are miffed with the people for giving all 10 Lok Sabha seats (in Vidarbha region) to the BJP-Shiv Sena alliance during the recently held (general) elections," Bhandari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India