Chavan`s Yavatmal tour cancelled as aircraft fails to land
Nagpur: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who was scheduled to tour flood-affected areas in neighbouring Yavatmal district on Saturday, called off his visit after his aircraft failed to land at Yavatmal Airport due to poor visibility.
Chavan was to visit the areas along with EGS Minister Nitin Raut, who is also Guardian Minister of Yavatmal, where normal life has been affected by flood caused by heavy rains over the last few days.
"After repeated attempts, the plane carrying the Chief Minister could not land at Yavatmal airport due to poor visibility. Chavan later reached Nagpur airport," Raut said.
Later, he wanted to travel by road to Yavatmal which was also not possible due to heavy rains in the western part of Vidarbha region. So, Chavan called off his visit and returned to Mumbai, he said, adding that the CM may tour the district when the situation improves in a couple of days.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Social Justice Minister Shivajirao Moghe, Minister of State for Finance Rajendra Mulak and Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee chief Manikrao Thakre, who were waiting at the airport to receive Chavan, later visited the flood-hit Akola Bazar village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa