Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early
Mumbai: People in the coastal Konkan and south-central parts of Maharashtra received respite from the sweltering heat as the monsoon hit many parts of the region Wednesday, a day ahead of its normal schedule, a top weather official said here.
"The south-west monsoon advanced in some parts of south Konkan and south-central Maharashtra today (Wednesday). Accordingly, several parts of this region received rainfall today," V.K. Rajeev, Director, Regional Meteorological Centre, Mumbai, said.
The first monsoon rains were experienced in many places over Goa, south Konkan, south-central Maharashtra and isolated parts of northern and central parts of the state Wednesday, spelling cheer for the people and the farming community.
The country`s commercial capital Mumbai wore a grey, overcast look the whole day as thick clouds loomed over it, but barring a mild drizzle in some parts, the weather remained warm and humid.
The weatherman has forecast rains or thundershowers over Mumbai and other parts of the state during the next 48 hours, indicating the full-fledged onset of monsoon. The regular date for monsoon hitting Mumbai is June 10.
Wednesday`s overcast skies marred the plans of thousands of enthusiasts who were prepared and hoping to catch the transit of Venus in the morning.
However, this did not prevent people from enjoying the season`s first rains in Sindhudurg, parts of Ratnagiri and Thane, Satara, Nanded, Chandrapur, Amravati and other parts of the state during the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda