Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early
Mumbai: People in the coastal Konkan and south-central parts of Maharashtra received respite from the sweltering heat as the monsoon hit many parts of the region Wednesday, a day ahead of its normal schedule, a top weather official said here.
"The south-west monsoon advanced in some parts of south Konkan and south-central Maharashtra today (Wednesday). Accordingly, several parts of this region received rainfall today," V.K. Rajeev, Director, Regional Meteorological Centre, Mumbai, said.
The first monsoon rains were experienced in many places over Goa, south Konkan, south-central Maharashtra and isolated parts of northern and central parts of the state Wednesday, spelling cheer for the people and the farming community.
The country`s commercial capital Mumbai wore a grey, overcast look the whole day as thick clouds loomed over it, but barring a mild drizzle in some parts, the weather remained warm and humid.
The weatherman has forecast rains or thundershowers over Mumbai and other parts of the state during the next 48 hours, indicating the full-fledged onset of monsoon. The regular date for monsoon hitting Mumbai is June 10.
Wednesday`s overcast skies marred the plans of thousands of enthusiasts who were prepared and hoping to catch the transit of Venus in the morning.
However, this did not prevent people from enjoying the season`s first rains in Sindhudurg, parts of Ratnagiri and Thane, Satara, Nanded, Chandrapur, Amravati and other parts of the state during the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note