Chhagan Bhujbal downplays sealink controversy
Mumbai: Downplaying the controversy over presence of megastar Amitabh Bachchan during inauguration of the second phase of the Bandra-Worli sea link, Maharashtra
Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal on Friday said that there is no difference of opinion in the state government over the issue.
"There is no difference of opinion in the state
government over the issue. The PWD minister (public
undertakings) had invited Bachchan for the programme like
other invitees. The sealink was inaugurated by the Chief
Minister," Bhujbal informed the Legislative Council.
The row surrounding Bachchan`s presence in the programme
found its resonance in the Legislative Council also, as
Opposition Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe raised the issue.
She said the media reported the incident and the House
members would like to know what happened.
Objecting to Gorhe, Congress MLC Bhai Jagtap said there
are other topics on the poor and the downtrodden in the state
to be discussed in the House.
Is the Bachchan issue so important to be debated here, he
Sena MLC Kiran Pawaskar said "after 26/11 terror attacks,
the then chief minister lost his post for taking along
Bollywood director Ram Gopal Verma (to survey damage in Taj
hotel). We are worried that Chavan should not meet the same
fate due to Bachchan".
Congress was upset with Bachchan`s presence at the
programme that took place on Wednesday.
The party`s Mumbai president Kripashankar Singh told
reporters later, "I want to clarify, neither the Mumbai
Congress nor was I consulted before inviting Amitabh
"I have appraised the party high command of the issue,"
Bachchan is the brand ambassador of another state and
hence some people were not happy with him being invited,
Chavan had said.
Bachchan wrote in his blog that "a fresh controversy has
been rapidly manufactured" on his involvement in the sealink
function. He had been invited by a Minister in the Government
to attend the function, he had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump