Chhagan Bhujbal downplays sealink controversy
Mumbai: Downplaying the controversy over presence of megastar Amitabh Bachchan during inauguration of the second phase of the Bandra-Worli sea link, Maharashtra
Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal on Friday said that there is no difference of opinion in the state government over the issue.
"There is no difference of opinion in the state
government over the issue. The PWD minister (public
undertakings) had invited Bachchan for the programme like
other invitees. The sealink was inaugurated by the Chief
Minister," Bhujbal informed the Legislative Council.
The row surrounding Bachchan`s presence in the programme
found its resonance in the Legislative Council also, as
Opposition Shiv Sena MLC Neelam Gorhe raised the issue.
She said the media reported the incident and the House
members would like to know what happened.
Objecting to Gorhe, Congress MLC Bhai Jagtap said there
are other topics on the poor and the downtrodden in the state
to be discussed in the House.
Is the Bachchan issue so important to be debated here, he
Sena MLC Kiran Pawaskar said "after 26/11 terror attacks,
the then chief minister lost his post for taking along
Bollywood director Ram Gopal Verma (to survey damage in Taj
hotel). We are worried that Chavan should not meet the same
fate due to Bachchan".
Congress was upset with Bachchan`s presence at the
programme that took place on Wednesday.
The party`s Mumbai president Kripashankar Singh told
reporters later, "I want to clarify, neither the Mumbai
Congress nor was I consulted before inviting Amitabh
"I have appraised the party high command of the issue,"
Bachchan is the brand ambassador of another state and
hence some people were not happy with him being invited,
Chavan had said.
Bachchan wrote in his blog that "a fresh controversy has
been rapidly manufactured" on his involvement in the sealink
function. He had been invited by a Minister in the Government
to attend the function, he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?