Chhagan Bhujbal, his family had links with Vastavade: Somaiya
Mumbai: Senior BJP leader Kirit Somaiya today alleged that PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal and his family had links with Anil Vastavade, an aide of former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, who is in Enforcement Directorate`s remand in connection with a multi-crore money-laundering case.
Addressing a press conference here, Somaiya demanded that Bhujbal`s financial dealings with Vastavade be probed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
He claimed that Bhujbal`s nephew and Nashik MP Sameer Bhujbal had met Vastavade in Jakarta between July 15 and August 1, 2010.
"Funds required for acquiring a coal mine in Jakarta was transferred through hawala transaction. Accused in the Telgi scam, Antim Totla, was also present at the meetings," Somaiya charged.
He claimed that Bhujbal`s company Armstrong Energy Pvt Ltd, set up with a paid capital of Rs one lakh and is running into losses of Rs 25 crore. "How can such a company which is yet to start power generation, can purchase a coal mine in another country?" Somaiya asked.
Reacting sharply, Chhagan Bhujbal described the allegations as "false, baseless" and made with an intent to malign his image.
"I have never been to Jakarta in my life, while I had travelled to Singapore about twenty years ago. I don`t know Anil Vastavade and have never met him. I checked the period which Somaiya claims that meetings with Vastavade have taken place and found that myself and my son Pankaj were attending the legislature proceedings in Mumbai," the minister pointed out.
According to him, nephew Sameer, who is the Lok Sabha MP from Nashik may have travelled to Jakarta on several occasions, because he is in the process of acquiring a coal mine.
"The deal is yet to happen. Funds of about Rs 15 crore to Rs 20 crore, which were required for the purchase were transferred through RBI and not hawala," Bhujbal said.
He said Antim Totla was an NCP worker and not a smuggler. "His name had figured during the Telgi case and the CBI found nothing against him," he added.
Bhujbal charged that Somaiya is not interested in a genuine probe into his allegations. "He makes an allegation and puts the onus on me to prove that I am innocent. Why doesn`t he give proof of his claims?" the minister asked.
"Investigations into his allegations are on through different machineries and we are co-operating with the probe," he added when asked about Somaiya`s claim that ACB is not being allowed by the government to probe his businesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now