Chhota Rajan aide acquitted in attempt-to-murder
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thursday
acquitted DK Rao, alleged trusted lieutenant of fugitive
gangster Chhota Rajan, in an attempt-to-murder case.
According to the prosecution, sometime in 1995 police got
information that four people - Ravi Mallesh Bora alias DK
Rao, Francis, Kishore Abare and Rajesh More - were going to
come to suburban Juhu to attack a builder.
Police set up a trap for them at the spot, and there was
an exchange of fire. While Francis died in the police fire,
the others were caught and booked for attempt to murder.
Kishore Abare died during the trial.
"The prosecution examined nine witnesses, but all of them
were police officers and there were no independent witnesses,"
said Rao`s lawyer, Randhir Kale. Advocate Kale further said
that even in the testimonies of the policemen, there were
contradictions as to the shoot-out spot.
The court acquitted Rao for lack of evidence. He had been
acquitted in a couple of cases in the recent past, and with
today`s acquittal, only three cases are pending against him,
two of them under the stringent Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
One of the MCOCA cases relates to firing outside the
residence of Iqbal Kaskar, gangster Dawood Ibrahim`s brother,
in south Mumbai last year in which Kaskar`s bodyguard was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!