Chhota Rajan aide acquitted in attempt-to-murder
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thursday
acquitted DK Rao, alleged trusted lieutenant of fugitive
gangster Chhota Rajan, in an attempt-to-murder case.
According to the prosecution, sometime in 1995 police got
information that four people - Ravi Mallesh Bora alias DK
Rao, Francis, Kishore Abare and Rajesh More - were going to
come to suburban Juhu to attack a builder.
Police set up a trap for them at the spot, and there was
an exchange of fire. While Francis died in the police fire,
the others were caught and booked for attempt to murder.
Kishore Abare died during the trial.
"The prosecution examined nine witnesses, but all of them
were police officers and there were no independent witnesses,"
said Rao`s lawyer, Randhir Kale. Advocate Kale further said
that even in the testimonies of the policemen, there were
contradictions as to the shoot-out spot.
The court acquitted Rao for lack of evidence. He had been
acquitted in a couple of cases in the recent past, and with
today`s acquittal, only three cases are pending against him,
two of them under the stringent Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).
One of the MCOCA cases relates to firing outside the
residence of Iqbal Kaskar, gangster Dawood Ibrahim`s brother,
in south Mumbai last year in which Kaskar`s bodyguard was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall