Chidambaram addresses Maha Cong poll workshop
Mumbai: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday dwelt on the benefits of the UPA Government`s direct cash transfer scheme at an election workshop for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra assembly elections.
Chidambaram addressed participants of the day-long workshop, organised by the state Congress unit in suburban Goregaon.
The around 200 office-bearers at the event included Maharashtra Congress ministers, MPs and legislators.
"Chidambaram spoke on the merits of the direct cash transfer scheme," Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Union Minister of Minority Affairs K Rahman also addressed the day-long conclave, he said.
The workshop was organised in view of party president Sonia Gandhi`s directive that Congress should effectively counter "false allegations" levelled by the Opposition. The senior party leaders also analysed the prevailing political situation, he said.
The state Congress unit will be holding a formal media briefing on the workshop later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug