Chidambaram addresses Maha Cong poll workshop
Mumbai: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday dwelt on the benefits of the UPA Government`s direct cash transfer scheme at an election workshop for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra assembly elections.
Chidambaram addressed participants of the day-long workshop, organised by the state Congress unit in suburban Goregaon.
The around 200 office-bearers at the event included Maharashtra Congress ministers, MPs and legislators.
"Chidambaram spoke on the merits of the direct cash transfer scheme," Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Union Minister of Minority Affairs K Rahman also addressed the day-long conclave, he said.
The workshop was organised in view of party president Sonia Gandhi`s directive that Congress should effectively counter "false allegations" levelled by the Opposition. The senior party leaders also analysed the prevailing political situation, he said.
The state Congress unit will be holding a formal media briefing on the workshop later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!