Chidambaram addresses Maha Cong poll workshop
Mumbai: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday dwelt on the benefits of the UPA Government`s direct cash transfer scheme at an election workshop for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra assembly elections.
Chidambaram addressed participants of the day-long workshop, organised by the state Congress unit in suburban Goregaon.
The around 200 office-bearers at the event included Maharashtra Congress ministers, MPs and legislators.
"Chidambaram spoke on the merits of the direct cash transfer scheme," Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Union Minister of Minority Affairs K Rahman also addressed the day-long conclave, he said.
The workshop was organised in view of party president Sonia Gandhi`s directive that Congress should effectively counter "false allegations" levelled by the Opposition. The senior party leaders also analysed the prevailing political situation, he said.
The state Congress unit will be holding a formal media briefing on the workshop later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!