Chidambaram addresses Maha Cong poll workshop
Mumbai: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday dwelt on the benefits of the UPA Government`s direct cash transfer scheme at an election workshop for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra assembly elections.
Chidambaram addressed participants of the day-long workshop, organised by the state Congress unit in suburban Goregaon.
The around 200 office-bearers at the event included Maharashtra Congress ministers, MPs and legislators.
"Chidambaram spoke on the merits of the direct cash transfer scheme," Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) spokesman Sachin Sawant said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Union Minister of Minority Affairs K Rahman also addressed the day-long conclave, he said.
The workshop was organised in view of party president Sonia Gandhi`s directive that Congress should effectively counter "false allegations" levelled by the Opposition. The senior party leaders also analysed the prevailing political situation, he said.
The state Congress unit will be holding a formal media briefing on the workshop later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview