Chief municipal officer held for accepting Rs 1 lakh bribe
Indore: The Chief Municipal Officer of Pandhana was on Thursday arrested from here by the Lokayukta Police for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a private contractor, police said.
Rahul Sharma had allegedly demanded Rs 2.13 lakh from the complainant Sajid for clearing his pending bill of over Rs 4 lakh, an official said.
The builder had constructed a government building at the cost of Rs 17.50 lakh at Pandhana in Khandwa district. While the municipal council had settled the bill of Rs 11.26 lakh towards the construction cost, dues of Rs 4.5 lakh were pending, after the council deducted the difference in sales tax, income tax and other levies.
However, Sharma allegedly sought the bribe in instalments from Sajid for clearing the amount.
Sharma was nabbed by a team of sleuths while he was accepting the first instalment of Rs 1 lakh from Sajid.
A case under Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against the officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police