Child marriage alarmingly up in tribal district of Yavatmal
Yavatmal: The women and child welfare wing of the Yavatmal Zilla Parishad plans to administer a public oath to women and girls across 16 tehsils of the district that they would not allow child marriages in their villages.
"We have proposed to set up a Mahila Athyachar Nivaran Samiti comprising ten women activists in each village who would monitor efforts to curb child marriage and sexual exploitation of young girls," its chairperson Prajakta Mankar said here today.
She said that child marriages and atrocities against women were on the increase in seven out of 16 tehsils, namely, Yavatmal, Babhulgaon, Darwha, Ghatanji, Pandharkawda, Zari and Wani.
Yuva Ved Manch, an NGO sponsored by the UNICEF has deployed over 3000 volunteers in these tehsils to oversee that no child marriage is performed and culprits don`t escape the clutches of the law.
Its project co-ordinator Sunil Bhele said that 27 child marriage attempts were made during January and February, this year.
"We successfully intervened in these marriages and tried to convince parents of the bride and bridegroom," he said, adding that there are many more attempts which go unreported.
Child marriages are being performed in a highly guarded manner with consent of the parents and the main reason is financial constraints faced by parents, Mankar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love