China keen to fund Maharashtra hospital
Mumbai: China has evinced interest in providing funds for modernisation of the government hospital in Vengurla in Sindhudurg district provided it is named after Dr Dwarkanath Shantaram Kotnis, one of five Indian physicians dispatched to China for medical assistance during the second Sino-Japanese war in 1938.
Besides being known for his dedication and perseverance, Dr Kotnis is regarded as an example for Sino-Indian friendship and collaboration. He continues to be revered by the Chinese people.
Last week, Chinese Consulate General in Mumbai Niu Qingbao met Health Minister Suresh Shetty to discuss the modernisation and upgradation of the 30-bedded Government Hospital in Vengurla and said his government was keen to provide financial assistance for the same.
A health department official said the state government has already given approval to upgrade the hospital to 50 beds.
Dr Kotnis, who was born in Solapur, also lived in Vengurla.
"Qingbao was informed that after getting a detailed proposal from the Chinese authorities in this regard, it would be forwarded to the Centre for final decision," the official said.
Kotnis, who was 28 when he went to China, stayed in the country for almost five years working in mobile clinics to treat wounded soldiers. He died of epilepsy on December 9, 1942 at the age of 32.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?