China keen to fund Maharashtra hospital
Mumbai: China has evinced interest in providing funds for modernisation of the government hospital in Vengurla in Sindhudurg district provided it is named after Dr Dwarkanath Shantaram Kotnis, one of five Indian physicians dispatched to China for medical assistance during the second Sino-Japanese war in 1938.
Besides being known for his dedication and perseverance, Dr Kotnis is regarded as an example for Sino-Indian friendship and collaboration. He continues to be revered by the Chinese people.
Last week, Chinese Consulate General in Mumbai Niu Qingbao met Health Minister Suresh Shetty to discuss the modernisation and upgradation of the 30-bedded Government Hospital in Vengurla and said his government was keen to provide financial assistance for the same.
A health department official said the state government has already given approval to upgrade the hospital to 50 beds.
Dr Kotnis, who was born in Solapur, also lived in Vengurla.
"Qingbao was informed that after getting a detailed proposal from the Chinese authorities in this regard, it would be forwarded to the Centre for final decision," the official said.
Kotnis, who was 28 when he went to China, stayed in the country for almost five years working in mobile clinics to treat wounded soldiers. He died of epilepsy on December 9, 1942 at the age of 32.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi