Chit funds: Maha govt to auction property of defaulters
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has decided to auction property of those who have cheated investors of crores of rupees through chit funds and ponzi schemes, Home Minister R R Patil said here on Monday.
"Police have seized property worth Rs 891 crore in connection with defrauding seven lakh investors in Mumbai to the tune of Rs 1,175 crore," Patil said, at a meeting of senior officials, held at Mantralaya to review action against the defaulters.
"Properties of the concerned would be auctioned and investors` money paid back, as per provisions in the law," Patil said.
Maharashtra was the first state to enact a legislation aimed at protecting the interests of investors, the minister said.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Kirit Somaiya, who had alleged that the state government had turned a blind eye to chit-fund scams amounting to hundreds of crores involving over 100 Ponzi schemes, today met Patil.
During the meeting, Somaiya expressed satisfaction over the police action in the multi-crore Speak Asia online investment scam, a spokesperson for the Home Minister said.
Somaiya had recently claimed that more than 10 lakh small investors have been hit by ponzi schemes and had accused officials of the Economic Offences Wing of deliberately dragging their feet in their investigations into these companies, choosing to arrive at a "settlement" with their owners.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference