Chlorine leak: Police seek details from MPT authorities
Mumbai: The city police probing the chlorine
gas leak at Mumbai Port Trust have sought "complete details"
pertaining to the cylinders from the MPT authorities.
"We have written a letter to MPT authorities seeking
various details like, since when the cylinders were stored,
who imported them, why they were lying uncleared. We will get
complete details soon," an official at Sewree Police Station
said on condition of anonymity.
However, the official said they were yet to question
anyone in this connection or record anyone`s statement.
"It is just 24 hours since the incident happened. Now our
priority is to bring everything under control. The process to
dispose of the four cylinders containing gas is going on," the
Deputy Police Commissioner Khalid Kaisar yesterday said
the Port Trust had been guarding the cylinders and as of now
the police were not holding it responsible for the incident.
Over 100 people had fallen sick yesterday when they
inhaled chlorine gas which leaked from one of the imported
cylinders lying in the MPT`s Hay Bandar premises.
An FIR in the case was yesterday registered against
unidentified persons under IPC sections 284 (negligent conduct
with respect to poisonous substance), 308 (attempt to commit
culpable homicide), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous
weapons or means), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life
or personal safety of others) and 34 (Acts done by several
persons in furtherance of common intention).
The unidentified accused were also charged with
Environment Act, police said.
Sixty-five people of the total 120, who were admitted to
various hospitals after inhaling the gas, have been discharged
so far, civic body officials said.
According to an official press release, 136 cylinders had
been lying on MPT premises for last several years.
Besides one gas cylinder that leaked, four other
cylinders contained gas, police officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement