Chlorine leak: Police seek details from MPT authorities
Mumbai: The city police probing the chlorine
gas leak at Mumbai Port Trust have sought "complete details"
pertaining to the cylinders from the MPT authorities.
"We have written a letter to MPT authorities seeking
various details like, since when the cylinders were stored,
who imported them, why they were lying uncleared. We will get
complete details soon," an official at Sewree Police Station
said on condition of anonymity.
However, the official said they were yet to question
anyone in this connection or record anyone`s statement.
"It is just 24 hours since the incident happened. Now our
priority is to bring everything under control. The process to
dispose of the four cylinders containing gas is going on," the
Deputy Police Commissioner Khalid Kaisar yesterday said
the Port Trust had been guarding the cylinders and as of now
the police were not holding it responsible for the incident.
Over 100 people had fallen sick yesterday when they
inhaled chlorine gas which leaked from one of the imported
cylinders lying in the MPT`s Hay Bandar premises.
An FIR in the case was yesterday registered against
unidentified persons under IPC sections 284 (negligent conduct
with respect to poisonous substance), 308 (attempt to commit
culpable homicide), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous
weapons or means), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life
or personal safety of others) and 34 (Acts done by several
persons in furtherance of common intention).
The unidentified accused were also charged with
Environment Act, police said.
Sixty-five people of the total 120, who were admitted to
various hospitals after inhaling the gas, have been discharged
so far, civic body officials said.
According to an official press release, 136 cylinders had
been lying on MPT premises for last several years.
Besides one gas cylinder that leaked, four other
cylinders contained gas, police officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark