Chowkies` regularisation: BMC to decide soon
Mumbai: Rapping the BMC for delay in deciding on applications filed by the police department for regularisation of 125 illegal chowkies across the city, the Bombay High Court Tuesday directed the civic body to take its decision within six weeks.
A division bench of Justices A M Khanwilkar and K K Tated was hearing a public interest litigation filed by social worker Indur Chhugani claiming that around 300 police chowkies in the city have been constructed illegally without taking the requisite permission.
Additional public prosecutor Aruna Kamat Pai today informed the court that out of total 391 police chowkies in the city, 252 were illegal.
"Out of this, 61 have been razed by the police department. Out of the remaining 191, the police department has filed application for regularisation of 125 police chowkies before the civic body. Two chowkies have been regularised but the remaining applications are still pending," she said.
The court then sought to know from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) as to why no decision has been taken on the applications, some of which have been filed as early as 2005.
"Why are you (BMC) taking so long? Why the delay? Such matters are in public interest and hence steps have to be taken immediately," the court said.
Directing the police department to file regularisation applications within two weeks, the court ordered the civic body to decide on all the applications within six weeks from today.
BMC has to file a compliance report on March 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter