Civic officials booked for road construction irreg
Chandrapur: Seven Zilla Parishad officials were booked by the police on Tuesday, after Zilla Parishad chief executive officer Arun Kumar Shinde lodged a complaint at Ramnagar police station about irregularities in road construction contracts at Kamalapur village in Korpana tehsil, which were noticed during a routine inspection.
The Zilla Parishad had approved Rs 5 lakh to construct roads and a contract was awarded to a gram panchayat, but though construction was completed in 2010, records showed that another approval for Rs 8.40 lakh was given to construct the same road later, but this time under some other scheme, Shinde`s complaint said.
Shinde alleged that the then additional CEO Prabhu Rajgadkar awarded works to contractors in many gram panchayats without following official procedure of calling tenders or bids, amounting to misuse of government funds.
Chandrapur sub-divisional police officer Raju Bhujbal said that the Ramnagar police registered offences under Sections 420, 465, 467, 468, 471 and 34 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against seven officials including Rajgadkar, and that a a probe is on.
Meanwhile, Prabhu Rajgadkar, who is presently project director for District Rural Development Agency in Gadchiroli, said that Shinde`s complaint is not in accordance with official procedure, reflecting his vengeful attitude towards subordinates.
"Why did the CEO did not enquire into the matter when I was with Chandrapur Zilla Parishad," Rajgadkar said. He said that before lodging a police complaint, Shinde should have issued a show cause notice to him and others which is mandatory as per official procedure.
"The CEO should have formed an enquiry committee to probe alleged irregularities. Instead, he chose to differ from official procedure," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH