Civic officials booked for road construction irreg
Chandrapur: Seven Zilla Parishad officials were booked by the police on Tuesday, after Zilla Parishad chief executive officer Arun Kumar Shinde lodged a complaint at Ramnagar police station about irregularities in road construction contracts at Kamalapur village in Korpana tehsil, which were noticed during a routine inspection.
The Zilla Parishad had approved Rs 5 lakh to construct roads and a contract was awarded to a gram panchayat, but though construction was completed in 2010, records showed that another approval for Rs 8.40 lakh was given to construct the same road later, but this time under some other scheme, Shinde`s complaint said.
Shinde alleged that the then additional CEO Prabhu Rajgadkar awarded works to contractors in many gram panchayats without following official procedure of calling tenders or bids, amounting to misuse of government funds.
Chandrapur sub-divisional police officer Raju Bhujbal said that the Ramnagar police registered offences under Sections 420, 465, 467, 468, 471 and 34 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against seven officials including Rajgadkar, and that a a probe is on.
Meanwhile, Prabhu Rajgadkar, who is presently project director for District Rural Development Agency in Gadchiroli, said that Shinde`s complaint is not in accordance with official procedure, reflecting his vengeful attitude towards subordinates.
"Why did the CEO did not enquire into the matter when I was with Chandrapur Zilla Parishad," Rajgadkar said. He said that before lodging a police complaint, Shinde should have issued a show cause notice to him and others which is mandatory as per official procedure.
"The CEO should have formed an enquiry committee to probe alleged irregularities. Instead, he chose to differ from official procedure," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!