Clarify stand on National Law School: HC to Maha
Nagpur: A High Court bench here has sought
the views of Maharashtra government on setting up of the
proposed National Law School in the city, within three weeks.
A division bench of Justices Dilip Sinha and Ashok
Bhangale yesterday issued necessary directives to the
authorities for filing a detailed statement in this regard.
Hearing a writ petition filed by one Shrikant Khandalkar
of a lawyers` organisation, the court directed government
pleader Nitin Sambre to take required instructions from the
The petition is directed against state government`s
alleged move to shift the venue of the proposed National Law
School from Nagpur to Vasai near Mumbai.
The idea was first mooted during the Platinum Jubilee
celebrations of High Court Bar Association, Nagpur early this
year when the demand was raised in presence of President
Governor S Shankarnarayanan and Chief Minister
Prithiviraj Chavan and then Supreme Court Judge Justice V S
Sirpurkar had all favoured setting up the NLS here.
The then Law Minister Veerappa Moily and his successor
Salman Khurshid too had agreed to the proposal.
Later, the state government probably changed its mind and
wanted to shift it to Vasai, a move which attracted severe
Justice Sirpurkar (now retired) pursued the matter with
both the Centre and state as a follow up to set up the NLS
here but the state has not yet decided on its location in
Nagpur, the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...