Clerk arrested for issuing bogus ration cards
Yavatmal (Mah): Police have
arrested a junior clerk with the Yavatmal tehsil office on the
charge of issuing bogus ration cards to two Bangladeshi youths
for a bribe of Rs 2,000 apiece.
The ration cards were later proffered as supporting
documents to obtain passports, police said.
Nilesh Shirbhate, the clerk, was arrested yesterday and
and was remanded to police custody till January 20.
According to police sub-inspector Satish Patil, the
interrogation of two locals, arrested earlier, led to
"We have so far arrested three locals including the
tehsil clerk in this connection and earlier held one of the
Bangladeshi youths," Patil said and added that police
suspected that a few more employees of the tehsil office were
The matter came to light when the passport applications
of the two youths were forwarded to Wadgaon Road police
station for verification. Inquiry revealed that documents had
been forged. While one of the youths, Mohammad Faizal Mohd
Salam, was arrested, the other, whose name was not disclosed
by police, is absconding.
Besides, two locals namely, Sajid Ali Rehman Ali (27), a
resident of Kohinoor Society and Mohmad Zuber Mohd Sikhander
(41), a resident of Islampura, too surrendered before the
police on Monday, after High Court refused them anticipatory
bail. They are accused of helping the Bangladeshi youths.
The clerk had been suspended and departmental inquiry had
been started, said Yavatmal tehsildar, Rupesh Khandare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok