Clubbed by robber, woman dragged off local train, is critical
Mumbai: A 43-year-old woman travelling in the second class ladies compartment of a Thane local train fell off the moving train between Rabale and Ghansoli stations around 7.20pm on Thursday when an unidentified robber hiding behind a pole hit her with a wooden stick. The robber pulled her down with a rope which got entangled around her neck.
The victim, who sustained severe head injuries, has been admitted to Criti Care Hospital in Thane in a critical condition. Besides a mangalsutra and earrings, her bag containing money were stolen.
A Dombivli resident, Aarati Anil Gholapkar, had boarded the train around 7.11 pm from Koparkhairane station with her female colleagues on their way home from office. As the compartment was packed, she was standing near the door with her bag slug on the shoulder.
As the train was moving, the robber threw the rope in her direction and held out the stick to grab her cell phone and bag. The rope got entangled Gholapkar’s neck and she was dragged out of the moving train.
Gholapkar screamed for help. A few of her co-passengers rushed to her rescue but by then, she had gone overboard. That’s when other commuters in the compartment pulled the alarm chain to halt the train.
Government Railway police officials and a few porters and some commuters rushed to the spot where they found Gholapkar lying unconscious in a pool of blood with severe head injuries. She had fallen near the tracks.
Gholapkar was taken to CritiCare Hospital in Thane where she is battling for life.
“We informed her husband and brother about the incident and registered a case under sections under sections 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery) and 397 (robbery or dacoity with attempt to cause death or grievous injuries),” said senior inspector PM Karyakarte, adding that they have interrogated some criminals who have indulged in such offences earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing