CM to discuss issue of Shivaji Maharaj statue with Natarajan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithivraj Chavan on Thursday said he would discuss the process of expediting permissions for starting work on the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj`s statue in the Arabian Sea with Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan next week.
He told reporters that the union minister will be in Mumbai on April 2 and the issue of speeding up 25 clearances will be taken up with her.
Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, along with Mumbai city Gaurdian Minister Jayant Patil visited the proposed site, a rocky area of 16 hectares under water, four kms into the sea from Marine Drive and a km from Raj Bhavan, for the proposed 309-ft statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji in the Arabian Sea.
A team of experts was asked to suggest an ideal location.
After conducting feasibility survey of three sites in the Arabian Sea, the experts came to a conclusion that the site situated between Raj Bhavan and Navy Nagar, would be ideal for the statue.
The proposed memorial will house an open-air theatre, a library and a museum showcasing the Maratha warrior`s life.
Experts are of the opinion that the rock between the Raj Bhavan and Navy Nagar will not need any reclamation, thus making it easier for the government.
Also, during the low-tide, the water level near the rock is at a comfortable height and will not cause a problem for movement of boats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed