Coast Guard rescues 4 fishermen near Arnala Fort
Thane: In a daring mid-sea operation the Coast Guard on Sunday airlifted to safety four fishermen who braved the choppy sea for over sixteen hours to stay afloat after their fishing trawler sank near Arnala Fort, around 60 kms from Mumbai.
The nightmare for six anglers from Arnala village began yesterday when their boat `Daya Sagar` capsized around 4-5 nautical miles off the coast.
While two crew members Ganesh Mhatre (21) and Prakash Mhatre (20) swam safely to the shore, Naresh Meher (45), Prakash Mhatre (30), Pandurang Mhatre (55) and Kedar Mhatre (26) clung onto the floating fishing buoy and thermocol pieces near the coast for around sixteen hours before being rescued this morning.
The Coast Guard plunged into action on receipt of an SoS about the mishap from the executive magistrate last night, saying while two of the four seamen swam safely to the shore, four others are missing, a coast Guard release said today.
"The Coast Guard dispatched a helicopter, which carried out an extensive search this morning and spotted four persons clinging onto the floating fishing buoy and thermocol pieces near the coast," the release said.
The pilot-in-command made a daring rescue plan, in which, he took a decision of winching of all four fishermen from the choppy seas, despite inclement weather.
"The Coast Guard air crew diver dived into the sea and ensured all four fishermen were safely winched up in the helicopter at 7.10 am today," it said, adding all the four fishermen were dropped at Arnala coast by the helicopter.
The district administration which earlier came up with a rescue plan had to abandon it due to inclement weather and darkness.
The fishermen were rushed to a local hospital and are doing well, local MLA Vivek Pandit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in