Coast Guard rescues six fishermen from rough sea
Mumbai: In a dramatic rescue operation, the Indian Coast Guard saved six fishermen, who included two children, from the rough sea after their boat sank off the Daman coast, an official said here on Friday. The operation lasted nearly 12 hours after the Coast Guard station in Daman received the emergency message about the sinking boat at about midnight on Thursday.
"A CG Dornier aircraft was flown to the reported position. However, since the Arabian Sea was rough due to the pre-monsoon conditions, it was difficult to spot the tiny sinking vessel in the rough seas. The visibility was hazy," the official said.
According to him, the spotting of the small target was a challenging mission with the Dornier having to fly very low -- but the boat was spotted soon.
Holding onto a rope, the six fishermen were stranded on a few wooden planks. The stem of the boat remained above the waterline.
The Dornier made another low sortie and dropped a life raft and relayed their position to nearby Coast Guard vessels, two of which set sail for the rescue.
A request was also sent to ONGC`s offshore vessel Mahananda to help out. It spotted the life raft with the fishermen, who were later picked up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read