Coast Guard seizes two fishing trawlers off Mumbai
Mumbai: Indian Coast Guard on Sunday seized two local fishing trawlers, allegedly involved in smuggling activities, off the Mumbai coast and detained crew members for violation of norms.
Coast Guard ship `Subhadrakumari Chauhan` intercepted the two boats, some 30 kms off the Mumbai shore, after it found them moving suspiciously.
Liquor bottles and tobacco products were seized from the two vessels.
"The Coast Guard officials found 12 bottles of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL), 140 packets of branded cigarettes, fine limestone and tobacco from the seized trawlers. The boats were carrying 24 people -- more than the allowed capacity," a Coast Guard release said.
According to the release, neither the casual labourers on board of the boats were carrying any identity proof nor the trawlers have any mandatory permission to operate outside local port limits as they were fishing boats.
The agency has seized the boats and handed them over along with the crew members to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam