Coast Guard seizes two fishing trawlers off Mumbai
Mumbai: Indian Coast Guard on Sunday seized two local fishing trawlers, allegedly involved in smuggling activities, off the Mumbai coast and detained crew members for violation of norms.
Coast Guard ship `Subhadrakumari Chauhan` intercepted the two boats, some 30 kms off the Mumbai shore, after it found them moving suspiciously.
Liquor bottles and tobacco products were seized from the two vessels.
"The Coast Guard officials found 12 bottles of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL), 140 packets of branded cigarettes, fine limestone and tobacco from the seized trawlers. The boats were carrying 24 people -- more than the allowed capacity," a Coast Guard release said.
According to the release, neither the casual labourers on board of the boats were carrying any identity proof nor the trawlers have any mandatory permission to operate outside local port limits as they were fishing boats.
The agency has seized the boats and handed them over along with the crew members to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply