Colourful R-Day parade dazzles Mumbai
Mumbai: Mumbai witnessed a dazzling Republic Day celebration, with a colourful parade at the picturesque Marine Drive here Sunday.
Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan hoisted the national flag and took the salute at the parade in south Mumbai along the Arabian Sea promenade.
Present on the occasion were Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his cabinet colleagues as well as Bollywood actor Salman Khan.
This is the first time the parade has been held at Marine Drive. The traditional venue was Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The parade saw around 25 tableaux put up by government departments and ministries highlighting achievements as well as vintage cars and a cycle rally that were cheered by people from both sides of the Marine Drive.
The crowds were thrilled as the army, navy and air force jointly put up demonstrations and daring display of their capabilities.
There were also cultural shows including traditional Maharashtrian dances and other aspects depicting the state`s rich culture and heritage.
Chavan earlier announced that the best float would get Rs.5 million, the second best Rs.2.50 million and the third best Rs.1.50 million.
Meanwhile, the Republic Day was also celebrated in schools, colleges and housing societies, with millions turning out for the festivities.
The tricolour was hoisted across the state in official and private functions -- in district towns and villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song