Colourful R-Day parade dazzles Mumbai
Mumbai: Mumbai witnessed a dazzling Republic Day celebration, with a colourful parade at the picturesque Marine Drive here Sunday.
Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan hoisted the national flag and took the salute at the parade in south Mumbai along the Arabian Sea promenade.
Present on the occasion were Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his cabinet colleagues as well as Bollywood actor Salman Khan.
This is the first time the parade has been held at Marine Drive. The traditional venue was Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The parade saw around 25 tableaux put up by government departments and ministries highlighting achievements as well as vintage cars and a cycle rally that were cheered by people from both sides of the Marine Drive.
The crowds were thrilled as the army, navy and air force jointly put up demonstrations and daring display of their capabilities.
There were also cultural shows including traditional Maharashtrian dances and other aspects depicting the state`s rich culture and heritage.
Chavan earlier announced that the best float would get Rs.5 million, the second best Rs.2.50 million and the third best Rs.1.50 million.
Meanwhile, the Republic Day was also celebrated in schools, colleges and housing societies, with millions turning out for the festivities.
The tricolour was hoisted across the state in official and private functions -- in district towns and villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre