Commission of Enquiry on Adarsh to start proceedings
Mumbai: The Commission of Enquiry set up by the Maharashtra government to probe the Adarsh Housing Society scam is likely to start its proceedings this week.
In December last year, the government had formed a panel headed by retired High Court Justice JA Patil with former chief secretary P Subramanian as its member to probe the alleged irregularities in allotment of plot and grant of additional FSI to Adarsh Society.
"The Commission was expected to submit its report within three months from January 8. However, we got all the resources including accommodation in February. We have started getting affidavits from the members of the society and various
departments of the government," an official attached to the Commission said.
An extension of time would be sought, he added.
The Commission`s probe would run parallel to the inquiry by CBI, which has registered a case against 13 accused, including former chief minister Ashok Chavan, for criminal conspiracy, fraud and misuse of the official powers.
The Commission would look into issues such as whether the land was reserved for kin of Kargil war martyrs, alleged violation of Coastal Regulation Zone rules, etc.
"The Commission had summoned all the members of the
Society, seeking affidavits explaining their stand in a week`s
time on February 15. But over 40 summons were returned as most
members had shifted elsewhere. Another summon was sent later
and the replies are awaited," the official said.
The Commission will work like a court, where a
prosecution lawyer would be appointed to argue the case,
while the respondents may either appear in person, or appoint
a lawyer to defend themselves.
The Society was built on a prime piece of land, allegedly
belonging to the defence ministry. It was originally meant to
be a six-storey structure, but later it got permission --
against rules -- to build 31 floors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?