`Compensation not the issue, Jaitapur project must be scrapped`
Mumbai: Spurning Maharashtra government’s offer of enhanced compensation for project-affected persons from Jaitapur and neighbouring villages, the local organisation spearheading the opposition to the proposed 9,900 mw nuclear power plant said it wanted the whole project to be scrapped.
"Our struggle is for cancellation of the nuclear plant project.... We do not want increased monetary package," said Prakash Waghdhare, the president of `Madban, Jaitapur, Mithgavane, Panchkroshi Sangharsh Samiti`, talking to reporters here.
He dubbed the power plant proposed to be set up at Jaitapur, in coastal Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra, as "poisonous".
In the face of stiff local opposition, Maharashtra government recently decided to give compensation of Rs 22.5 lakh per hectare to the project-affected people. However, Waghdhare today said the quantum of compensation was not the issue.
"Farmers from Jaitapur and neighbouring villages do not want the money. They don`t want the project there. Entire Konkan is opposed to the project," he said.
A rally to protest the project would be organised next month, he said.
Alleging that government was misleading people by offering enhanced package, Satyajit Chavan of `Konkan Vinashkari Prakalp Virodhi Samiti` said a section of the media was publishing reports in favour of the government.
"We never held a press conference demanding increase in financial package," he added. "We want to save Konkan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers