`Compensation not the issue, Jaitapur project must be scrapped`
Mumbai: Spurning Maharashtra government’s offer of enhanced compensation for project-affected persons from Jaitapur and neighbouring villages, the local organisation spearheading the opposition to the proposed 9,900 mw nuclear power plant said it wanted the whole project to be scrapped.
"Our struggle is for cancellation of the nuclear plant project.... We do not want increased monetary package," said Prakash Waghdhare, the president of `Madban, Jaitapur, Mithgavane, Panchkroshi Sangharsh Samiti`, talking to reporters here.
He dubbed the power plant proposed to be set up at Jaitapur, in coastal Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra, as "poisonous".
In the face of stiff local opposition, Maharashtra government recently decided to give compensation of Rs 22.5 lakh per hectare to the project-affected people. However, Waghdhare today said the quantum of compensation was not the issue.
"Farmers from Jaitapur and neighbouring villages do not want the money. They don`t want the project there. Entire Konkan is opposed to the project," he said.
A rally to protest the project would be organised next month, he said.
Alleging that government was misleading people by offering enhanced package, Satyajit Chavan of `Konkan Vinashkari Prakalp Virodhi Samiti` said a section of the media was publishing reports in favour of the government.
"We never held a press conference demanding increase in financial package," he added. "We want to save Konkan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?