Conductor molests student, booked for rape by mistake
Mumbai: A 4-year-old girl was allegedly molested by the conductor of her school bus here but, in an apparent goof up, a case of rape was registered against him, a senior police officer said Saturday.
Ramesh Rajput (35) allegedly molested the girl in suburban Juhu on Tuesday afternoon when children were being dropped back home, city Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said.
Being the last to be dropped home, the KG student was the lone child in the school bus when she was sexually abused by the conductor in the presence of a female attendant, who confronted him for the indecent act, police said.
The case came to light on Wednesday when the victim informed her father about the incident and he reported the matter to the school authorities immediately.
"There was no rape or attempt to rape. We are rectifying our mistake," Singh said.
"Section 376 IPC (rape) was applied in this case by mistake and we are contemplating to remove it with the permission of the court," Mumbai police spokesperson Ambadas Pote said.
A case was registered against Rajput after medical check up of the victim. The accused was arrested and charged with rape and molestation under Protection of Children from Sexual offences Act.
The bus driver`s statement has also been recorded, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'