‘Cong covering up Adarsh to avoid Chavan`s arrest’
Mumbai: BJP on Wednesday accused the ruling Congress in the state of carrying on a cover-up operation to avoid the arrest of former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan in Adarsh Housing Society scam.
Addressing a press conference, BJP secretary Kirit Somaiya said the state government purposely asked the Adarsh judicial commission to submit an interim report on the issue of ownership of the land where Adarsh building stands, and whether it was reserved for Kargil war heroes or their kin, to influence the investigating agency (CBI).
"Is it not true that the number of members of the Society, the available FSI, were increased fraudulently to accommodate politicians, bureaucrats, powerbrokers and their relatives, and that Ashok Chavan grabbed more than half a dozen flats in the name of his in-laws and friends?" Somaiya asked.
The reference to Commission as to reservation for Kargil heroes was illogical as nobody had claimed in the first place that the land was reserved for Kargil war heroes. "The point was, the land was sought by the proposed society for housing ex-servicemen and Kargil war heroes and widows," he added.
"We will meet the Governor next week and urge him to prevent misuse of the Commission by the state government. Similarly, we also plan to call on the Commission in this regard," Somaiya said.
He alleged that former Congress Chief Ministers Ashok Chavan, Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde were trying to create an impression that the interim report had given them a clean chit.
Why a single politician had not been arrested in the case so far, though nine bureaucrats had been put behind the bars, he said.
The initial clearances were given by Deshmukh and later by Shinde, and Ashok Chavan, as the Revenue Minister, became part of the criminal conspiracy to approve the resolution which recommended inclusion of civilians in the society, Somaiya alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India