Cong files complaint with Maha EC over paid news
Mumbai: The Mumbai unit of Congress on Sunday
lodged a complaint with the State Election Commission over
certain news reports predicting a hung verdict in the
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation elections and MNS becoming
a "Kingmaker" quoting an intelligence report and demanded to
treat these news items as `paid news`.
A section of the media here had carried news reports
stating that the State Intelligence Department had predicted
that Raj Thackeray-led MNS would be a "Kingmaker" after the
election due to `hung verdict` and also talked about the
number of seats various political parties would win in the
February 16 election.
Mumbai police, however, have denied making any
predictions about election.
"Reports appearing in media of some forecast being
submitted by Mumbai police about BMC elections are untrue. No
such forecast has been made by police," Deputy Police
Commissioner Nisar Tamboli said.
The news report had stated that the Shiv Sena, Bhartiya
Janata Party and the Republican Party of India alliance would
get between 92 and 100 seats while the Congress Nationalist
Congress Party combine would get 85-90 seats. The MNS is
expected to get about 30 seats in the battle for 227 seats.
A press note released by the Congress has not named any
political party for the said `paid news`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too