Cong files complaint with Maha EC over paid news
Mumbai: The Mumbai unit of Congress on Sunday
lodged a complaint with the State Election Commission over
certain news reports predicting a hung verdict in the
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation elections and MNS becoming
a "Kingmaker" quoting an intelligence report and demanded to
treat these news items as `paid news`.
A section of the media here had carried news reports
stating that the State Intelligence Department had predicted
that Raj Thackeray-led MNS would be a "Kingmaker" after the
election due to `hung verdict` and also talked about the
number of seats various political parties would win in the
February 16 election.
Mumbai police, however, have denied making any
predictions about election.
"Reports appearing in media of some forecast being
submitted by Mumbai police about BMC elections are untrue. No
such forecast has been made by police," Deputy Police
Commissioner Nisar Tamboli said.
The news report had stated that the Shiv Sena, Bhartiya
Janata Party and the Republican Party of India alliance would
get between 92 and 100 seats while the Congress Nationalist
Congress Party combine would get 85-90 seats. The MNS is
expected to get about 30 seats in the battle for 227 seats.
A press note released by the Congress has not named any
political party for the said `paid news`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read