Cong MP slams Shinde for downplaying Vidarbha state issue
Nagpur: Local Congress MP Vilas Muttemwar, who is a votary of separate state of Vidarbha, has accused the Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde of misleading the country on the issue.
"Your reported statement that Telangana`s case was considered because it was older and more deserving than Vidarbha is not based on historical facts and evidence. It has hurt feelings of people of Vidarbha," Muttemwar wrote in a scathing letter to Shinde.
The letter, released to media here, traces the history going back 125 years, to support the issue of statehood for Vidarbha. "Either your officials have kept you in the dark or you have chosen deliberately to ignore the solid documentary evidence that show that the demand for Vidarbha state was much older and more rooted," Muttemwar said.
Justice Fazal Ali state reorganisation committee, set up in 1953, had said that Vidarbha`s case was fit for statehood with surplus and stable revenue, Muttemwar claims.
"The committee went further to caution against succumbing to pressure to be part of united Maharashtra," the letter notes. Further criticising Shinde, the Congress MP says: "You have for years served in important Ministerial positions and also as Chief Minister of Maharashtra. But it is unfortunate that you did little for the backward region of Vidarbha.
"Now, when you are in an influential position, instead of trying to make amends and help this region you have again worked against its interests by not taking up the cause of Vidarbha statehood with the Congress president," the letter says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why