Cong, NCP may fight separately in Maha civic polls
Mumbai: The ruling Congress, which has a
coalition with NCP in Maharashtra, may go it alone in the
elections to 196 municipal councils scheduled for December 8.
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee chief Manikrao
Thakre today said district-level party leaders were of the
opinion that alliances should be formed only where Shiv
Sena-BJP combine were strong.
The elections would cover 196 municipal councils, 27
zilla parishads, 305 panchayat samitis and 10 municipal
MPCC is planning a "Dikshabhoomi" to Rajghat (Nagpur-
Delhi) yatra from December 6, to mark the "social justice
year", he informed.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and AICC state in-charge
Mohan Prakash addressed a meeting of party district office-
bearers here today.
Chavan stressed that local bodies polls were a "mini
Assembly election", party sources said.
Office-bearers (from the districts where the municipal
council polls will be held) submitted reports on local
political situation and said there were complaints against the
NCP among local Congress cadres, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...