Cong not to use Kalmadi`s services in civic polls
Mumbai: He may have dominated Pune politics
for over 15 years but the Congress will not take Suresh
Kalmadi`s services for the civic polls there scheduled for
Maharashtra Congress President Manikrao Thakre on Thursday made
it clear that the party will have nothing to do with Kalmadi,
its MP from Pune, who was released on bail after spending
nearly ten months in jail for his alleged involvement in the
CWG scam. He has been suspended from the party.
"Congress is not taking Kalmadi`s services for its
campaign in Pune where the civic polls are being held on
February 16," Thakre said.
While acknowledging that a section in the Pune city unit
still owed allegiance to Kalmadi, Thakre said, "Even the
celebrations in Pune Congress office today over his release on
bail was by these supporters and not the party."
Thakre said if Kalmadi`s supporters call him to campaign
in their constituencies, it will be in their individual
capacity and "the party will have nothing to do with it".
MPCC spokesman Anant Gadgil, a bitter critic of Kalmadi,
when asked for his reaction said, "I am the party spokesman
and can speak only about people in my party and not
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender