Cong questions `urgency` for Thackeray`s Shivaji Park memorial
Mumbai: Against the backdrop of cacophony of demands over late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray`s memorial, the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on Saturday questioned the "urgency" to rush for the structure at Shivaji Park.
"Why there`s a hurry. It is not that his (Thackeray`s) name will vanish soon. Shivaji Park has been named after Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Thackeray revered the Maratha warrior and his politics revolved around this name. Even he (Thackeray) would not have liked Shivaji Park to be surrounded by controversy," MPCC spokesman Sachin Sawant told reporters here.
Sawant said MPCC will express its stand on the issue when a proposal comes up and government is ready to take a decision.
The 86-year-old Sena patriarch was cremated at Shivaji Park last Sunday. He breathed his last a day before after a prolonged illness.
Responding to a query on what action it has taken on the party corporator Sunil More for demanding that Thackeray`s memorial should be constructed at Indu Mills land, Sawant said the MPCC has already served a showcause notice to him.
"Indu mill land is being earmarked for Babasaheb Ambedkar`s memorial and it is a commitment. The issue is sensitive for the congress," the spokesperson said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has already clarified that no law will be violated to accommodate Thackeray`s memorial at Shivaji Park.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical