Cong takes dig at NCP`s `opinion poll` over mill land issue
Mumbai: Criticising NCP for conducting an "opinion poll" on its portal insinuating that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was responsible for delay in the transfer of Indu Mill land to construct memorial of B R Ambedkar, the Congress today said the NCP was feeling insecure that it might miss out on taking credit on the issue.
"NCP is our alliance partner and we have taken all the parties in confidence on the Indu Mill land issue. But it was surprising to know about the survey. NCP may be fearing not to get credit of the issue," Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao Thakre told reporters here.
He was referring to a survey conducted by the Sharad Pawar-led party on its website on the delay in getting the land for the memorial and if Chavan was responsible for the same.
Welcoming the Centre`s decision to transfer the land of the defunct textile mill in central Mumbai for construction of the memorial of the Dalit icon, Thakre said his party has fulfilled its promise made in the election manifesto.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chief Minister Chavan, and Congress as a whole tried their best to get the transfer of land to construct memorial for Dr B R Ambedkar. We will take control of the land very soon," he said.
Responding to a query on the memorial of late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, Thakre said, "Ambedkar was the national leader and did not belong to any particular group. We follow his thoughts and one cannot treat Thackeray and Ambedkar on the same lines".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video