Congress expresses grief over Pune IT professional`s killing
New Delhi: The Congress Wednesday expressed condolences at the murder of a young IT professional in Pune by alleged activists of a right-wing fringe group over remarks made on Facebook.
Congress spokesperson Shashi Tharoor told reporters that the party expressed its "deep condolences to the family and loved ones of 24-year-old Mohsin Sadiq".
Sadiq was beaten to death in Pune by seven men alleged belonging to an outfit that called Hindu Rashtra Sena because of apparently derogatory comments about late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.
Tharoor added that the death of Sadiq was a "very serious indictment of some of the extreme beliefs that have been allowed to take hold in the imaginations of certain people".
"The answer to an opinion is another opinion, the answer to a word is another word, not violence," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users