Congress gears up to fight polls in Maharashtra sans NCP
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: Congress vice-president held a closed-door meeting with block-level party workers on Wednesday and asked them to work towards securing majority in the upcoming 2014 General Elections so that polls can be fought without the support of NCP.
In an exclusive video accessed by Zee Media, Rahul Gandhi was seen telling the party workers to work towards gaining absolute majority so that there is no need for a pact with Sharad Pawar- led NCP.
Gandhi held extensive interaction with grassroots workers from Western Maharashtra, Konkan and Marathwada in the ongoing exercise to galvanise party cadres ahead of 2014 parliamentary elections
Rahul, who arrived in Pune last night from Nagpur on the last leg of his two-day tour of Maharashtra, gave a morale boosting address at the closed-door meeting of block-level party workers, sources said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC President Manikrao Thakre were present at Balewadi sports city, about 20 km from here, but did not participate in the session which Rahul initiated exclusively with the grassroots activists, sources added.
According to some supporters of suspended local Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi, they submitted a memorandum to Rahul urging him to revoke his suspension. This was, however, denied by Thakre.
Rahul, who was given an enthusiastic welcome by party workers, mixed freely with them exchanging ideas and motivating them to ensure a convincing Congress victory in the 2014 polls, a party functionary said.
There was, however, no official briefing on the day-long deliberations.
During his one-on-one interaction with grassroots workers from Vidarbha region in Nagpur yesterday, Rahul reportedly encouraged them to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections which are due in some states.
According to some party functionaries in Nagpur, Rahul had observed that factionalism was a major hurdle for the party preparing for elections.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?