Congress gears up to fight polls in Maharashtra sans NCP
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: Congress vice-president held a closed-door meeting with block-level party workers on Wednesday and asked them to work towards securing majority in the upcoming 2014 General Elections so that polls can be fought without the support of NCP.
In an exclusive video accessed by Zee Media, Rahul Gandhi was seen telling the party workers to work towards gaining absolute majority so that there is no need for a pact with Sharad Pawar- led NCP.
Gandhi held extensive interaction with grassroots workers from Western Maharashtra, Konkan and Marathwada in the ongoing exercise to galvanise party cadres ahead of 2014 parliamentary elections
Rahul, who arrived in Pune last night from Nagpur on the last leg of his two-day tour of Maharashtra, gave a morale boosting address at the closed-door meeting of block-level party workers, sources said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC President Manikrao Thakre were present at Balewadi sports city, about 20 km from here, but did not participate in the session which Rahul initiated exclusively with the grassroots activists, sources added.
According to some supporters of suspended local Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi, they submitted a memorandum to Rahul urging him to revoke his suspension. This was, however, denied by Thakre.
Rahul, who was given an enthusiastic welcome by party workers, mixed freely with them exchanging ideas and motivating them to ensure a convincing Congress victory in the 2014 polls, a party functionary said.
There was, however, no official briefing on the day-long deliberations.
During his one-on-one interaction with grassroots workers from Vidarbha region in Nagpur yesterday, Rahul reportedly encouraged them to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections which are due in some states.
According to some party functionaries in Nagpur, Rahul had observed that factionalism was a major hurdle for the party preparing for elections.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!