Congress grapples with nominations for RS, MLC in Maharashtra
New Delhi: With aspirants galore, Congress
leadership grappled with the issue of nominations for Rajya
Sabha and Legistlative Council Elections from Maharashtra at a
marathon meeting on Monday.
Senior leaders A K Antony and Ahmad Patel held parleys
with Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and PCC chief
Manikrao Thakre, ahead of the elections to six Rajya Sabha and
10 Legislative Council seats scheduled for next month.
Chavan also had a meeting with Congress president Sonia
Gandhi before the parleys began.
A section of Congress wants contest for the elections
to make inroads into the Shiv Sena-BJP votes as it feels the
opposition was not united.
There have been reports that moves were afoot between
the Maharashtra Congress and the Shiv Sena-BJP to ensure that
there is no contest for the elections as it is widely known
that major political parties can ensure victory of their
candidates without a fight.
Congress sources said the party has received 24
applications for Rajya Sabha and 129 for Legislative Council
The ruling Congress-NCP combine has 144 MLAs (Congress 82
and NCP 62) in the Assembly and enjoys the support of a
majority of 24 Independents. The saffron alliance’s strength
is 91 (BJP 46 and Shiv Sena 45).
While 42 first preference votes are required by a
candidate for a straight win in the Rajya Sabha poll, 27 votes
will see an aspirant through without any hindrance in the
elections to the Legislative Council.
Both Congress-NCP coalition and BJP-Sena combine can
secure easy victory for three and two candidates respectively
in the Rajya Sabha polls.
Congress-NCP combination, with support from majority of
Independents, can easily secure six Council seats and Sena-BJP
can bag three without a problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list