Congress has lost its star campaigner: Maha CM on Vilasrao
Mumbai: Senior Congress leaders in Maharashtra on Thursday met here to remember their departed colleague, Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, whom the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan described as "star campaigner".
"We have lost a star campaigner. Vilasrao`s demise is not only a loss for the Congress party, but for the country as well," Chavan said at the condolence meeting this evening.
Deshmukh passed away at a Chennai hospital on Tuesday.
"No one thought that he would leave us following a brief illness. There was talk about his illness for the last six months, but when asked, he would laugh it off," Chavan said.
He had just begun his innings at the Centre, and was slated to handle more responsibilities, Chavan said. "The party had many more expectations from him."
Congress`s Maharashtra in-charge, Mohan Prakash, said that Deshmukh was one of the most prominent Congress leaders from the state. "We are feeling the void caused by his death.
Former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, senior state Minister Narayan Rane, and MPCC president Manikrao Thakre were among those who lauded Deshmukh`s role in the development of the party and the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!