Congress has lost its star campaigner: Maha CM on Vilasrao
Mumbai: Senior Congress leaders in Maharashtra on Thursday met here to remember their departed colleague, Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, whom the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan described as "star campaigner".
"We have lost a star campaigner. Vilasrao`s demise is not only a loss for the Congress party, but for the country as well," Chavan said at the condolence meeting this evening.
Deshmukh passed away at a Chennai hospital on Tuesday.
"No one thought that he would leave us following a brief illness. There was talk about his illness for the last six months, but when asked, he would laugh it off," Chavan said.
He had just begun his innings at the Centre, and was slated to handle more responsibilities, Chavan said. "The party had many more expectations from him."
Congress`s Maharashtra in-charge, Mohan Prakash, said that Deshmukh was one of the most prominent Congress leaders from the state. "We are feeling the void caused by his death.
Former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, senior state Minister Narayan Rane, and MPCC president Manikrao Thakre were among those who lauded Deshmukh`s role in the development of the party and the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak