Congress ministers irked by arrest of girls in Palghar
Mumbai: The arrest of two girls in neighbouring Palghar area over a remark posted on Facebook following Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray`s death evoked a sharp reaction from Congress ministers at the Maharashtra cabinet`s meeting on Wednesday.
Congress sources said the party Ministers alleged that police arrested Shaheen Dhada and her friend Renu Srinivasan (both were later released) under the pressure of local Shiv Sena workers.
The home portfolio in the state is held by NCP.
Although the comment on the Facebook was a general opinion and not derogatory, the police, under pressure from Shiv Sena, arrested the girls and registered a case under irrelevant sections of IPC, Minister Nitin Raut said at the meeting.
Raut demanded strong action against the police officers.
Fellow Congress Ministers Naseem Khan and Varsha Gaikwad echoed the demand, sources said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that probe had been ordered and report was expected soon; action would be taken if the officers had erred, sources added.
Dhada had questioned shutting down of Mumbai in the aftermath of Thackeray`s death in her comment. The arrest led to outrage across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof