Congress ministers irked by arrest of girls in Palghar
Mumbai: The arrest of two girls in neighbouring Palghar area over a remark posted on Facebook following Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray`s death evoked a sharp reaction from Congress ministers at the Maharashtra cabinet`s meeting on Wednesday.
Congress sources said the party Ministers alleged that police arrested Shaheen Dhada and her friend Renu Srinivasan (both were later released) under the pressure of local Shiv Sena workers.
The home portfolio in the state is held by NCP.
Although the comment on the Facebook was a general opinion and not derogatory, the police, under pressure from Shiv Sena, arrested the girls and registered a case under irrelevant sections of IPC, Minister Nitin Raut said at the meeting.
Raut demanded strong action against the police officers.
Fellow Congress Ministers Naseem Khan and Varsha Gaikwad echoed the demand, sources said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that probe had been ordered and report was expected soon; action would be taken if the officers had erred, sources added.
Dhada had questioned shutting down of Mumbai in the aftermath of Thackeray`s death in her comment. The arrest led to outrage across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!