Congress MLC resigns, makes way for Chavan
Mumbai: Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt on Friday
resigned from the Maharashtra Legislative Council, paving way
for Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s election as legislator,
within the stipulated six month period after taking oath.
Chavan accompanied Dutt when the latter met Council
Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh at Vidhan Bhawan here this
morning and submitted his resignation as an MLC.
The Rajya Sabha member was sworn in as chief minister in
November, succeeding Ashok Chavan, who was forced to quit in
the aftermath of the Adarsh scam and as per norms, must become
a member of either House in state legislature by May.
Dutt, an active functionary in Maharashtra Pradesh
Congress Committee, met party president Sonia Gandhi, along
with Chavan, in Delhi yesterday and offered to quit his
Council seat for Chavan.
Election for the Council seat, vacated by Dutt, would
take place by April-end, a senior Vidhan Bhawan official told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!