Congress MLC resigns, makes way for Chavan
Mumbai: Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt on Friday
resigned from the Maharashtra Legislative Council, paving way
for Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s election as legislator,
within the stipulated six month period after taking oath.
Chavan accompanied Dutt when the latter met Council
Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh at Vidhan Bhawan here this
morning and submitted his resignation as an MLC.
The Rajya Sabha member was sworn in as chief minister in
November, succeeding Ashok Chavan, who was forced to quit in
the aftermath of the Adarsh scam and as per norms, must become
a member of either House in state legislature by May.
Dutt, an active functionary in Maharashtra Pradesh
Congress Committee, met party president Sonia Gandhi, along
with Chavan, in Delhi yesterday and offered to quit his
Council seat for Chavan.
Election for the Council seat, vacated by Dutt, would
take place by April-end, a senior Vidhan Bhawan official told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview