Congress MLC resigns, makes way for Chavan
Mumbai: Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt on Friday
resigned from the Maharashtra Legislative Council, paving way
for Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s election as legislator,
within the stipulated six month period after taking oath.
Chavan accompanied Dutt when the latter met Council
Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh at Vidhan Bhawan here this
morning and submitted his resignation as an MLC.
The Rajya Sabha member was sworn in as chief minister in
November, succeeding Ashok Chavan, who was forced to quit in
the aftermath of the Adarsh scam and as per norms, must become
a member of either House in state legislature by May.
Dutt, an active functionary in Maharashtra Pradesh
Congress Committee, met party president Sonia Gandhi, along
with Chavan, in Delhi yesterday and offered to quit his
Council seat for Chavan.
Election for the Council seat, vacated by Dutt, would
take place by April-end, a senior Vidhan Bhawan official told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation