Congress, NCP leaders also turn up to felicitate Munde
Mumbai: Congress and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leaders joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena in felicitating BJP`s Gopinath Munde on his 61st birthday on Sunday.
The felicitation was organided by "Gopinath Munde Gaurav Samiti" at the Shanmukhanand Hall here.
Besides senior BJP leader LK Advani, BJP president Nitin Gadkari and Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray, Congress leader and union Heavy Industries Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and NCP leader and state Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal were also present.
Speaking on the occasion, Deshmukh recalled his three-decade old friendship with Munde.
"Munde is a glowing example of how a friend should be in life. He inspires everybody by his sheer hard work and struggle to rise up in life," he said.
Bhujbal said Munde never backed out of any challenge which he encountered in his personal or professional life.
"Munde has an excellent knowledge of the social happenings and the problems of the deprived sections, his contribution to the cause of the other backward classes (OBCs) is immense," remarked Bhujbal, himself a prominent OBC leader.
Several speakers recalled how Munde, who was born in a poor farmer`s family in Nathra village of Beed district, to Pandurang and Limbabai, struggled against all odds to come up in life and rose to become Maharastra`s deputy chief minister during the Shiv Sena-BJP reign (1995-99) and now serves as deputy leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM