Congress-NCP seat-sharing talks enter third day
Mumbai: Congress and NCP Thursday continued negotiation to evolve a consensus over certain seats on which both of them have staked claim as the two ruling coalition partners appeared close to clinching a seat-sharing pact for the October 13 Assembly elections in Maharashtra.
The venue of the closed door deliberations, which began on September 15, was today shifted from Chief Minister Ashok Chavan`s official residence in south Mumbai to Deputy CM Chhagan Bhujbal`s bungalow nearby.
Sources said the meeting began this after noon after both parties had agreed to a formula, according to which, Congress would contest 174 and NCP 114 seats out of the total 288. In 2004, Congress and NCP had contested in 164 and 124 seats respectively.
The sources said the contentious seats include those in western Maharashtra where independent, and rebel Shiv Sena MLAs, who had defeated NCP candidates in the last elections, were expected to be fielded by the Congress.
Three Shiv Sena MLAs, considered close to Congress leader Narayan Rane, had recently joined the party.
Among other seats, Senior NCP leader and Labour Minister Nawab Malik has claimed the newly carved Kalina seat in Mumbai, a segment also being eyed by Mumbai Congress President Kripashankar Singh.
The Congress Screening Committee meeting, which was scheduled to be held in Delhi later today, has been postponed as the seat-sharing deliberations were still on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow