Congress nominees for Bihar, Maharashtra bypolls
New Delhi: Congress has fielded late RJD MP Umashankar Singh`s son Jitendra Swami for the June 2 Lok Sabha bye-election in Maharajganj in Bihar, a seat earlier held by his father.
The seat fell vacant ater the death of the 72-year-old RJD leader in January. A five-time MLA, Umashankar Singh was MP from Maharajganj in 2009 and was one of the four MPs of Lalu Prasad`s Rashtriya Janata Dal.
RJD is likely to field former JD(U) leader Prabhunath Singh while JD-U is likely to put up HRD minister P K Shahi from Maharajganj.
Both RJD and JD-U are treating this bye-election as a prestige issue. The candidature of Swami could turn the contest into a triangular affair as his father had been a veteran leader there.
In another decision, the party announced the candidature of Deshmukh Parvekar Nandini Nilesh as its candidate for the assembly bye-election for Yavatmal seat in Maharashtra.
The seat fell vacant following the death of MLA Nilesh Deshmukh. Nandini Nilesh is his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan