Congress ousts NCP, wrests Sangli civic body
Mumbai: Ousting NCP, its ally in the state and central government, Congress on Monday bagged control of the Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation in western Maharashtra, winning 40 of the 78 seats.
NCP, which controlled the corporation for the last five years, managed to win only 18 seats. The NCP-led `Maha aghadi` alliance had then bagged 37 seats. Congress, which had won 24 seats then, has improved its tally to emerge the clear winner this time.
Swabhimani Aaghadi, a front which included candidates of BJP, Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghtana and some independents, won eight seats. Independent candidates won in 9 wards, while MNS candidate won in a single ward.
The result is a major setback to NCP and a boost for Congress. The contest was deemed prestigious as top state-level leaders, including Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, had taken part in the campaign.
NCP leader and Home Minister R R Patil was accused of campaigning for the party`s "tainted" candidates, including some accused in the 2009 riots. The then mayor of Sangli, Moinuddin Bagwan, was an accused in the riots case and contested as an NCP candidate.
While the election results are good news for union minister Prateek Patil and state minister Patangrao Kadam of Congress, they are a setback to NCP ministers Jayant Patil and RR Patil, who hail from Sangli district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price