Congress wins Nanded Municipal Elections
Mumbai: After setback in bypolls in Uttarakhand and West Bengal, Congress has managed to sweep the elections for Nanded Municipal Corporation of the State.
According to reports, Congress won 41 out of the total 81 seats.
Congress, which shares power with NCP at the state level, went alone in elections to the 81-member Nanded Municipal Corporation, held on Sunday.
While NCP secured 10 seats, Shiv Sena got 14 and BJP won on 2 seats.
Reacting to the victory, former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, who led the party in the polls, said the win was possible due to “teamwork” among Congress workers.
“I will give all credit to party workers. The victory was a result of teamwork and stress on developmental issues and inspiration of our leader Sonia Gandhi,” Chavan said, terming the results a victory of “people’s power”.
NCP leader Pratap Chikhlikar, a staunch rival of Chavan in Nanded, alleged that Congress “used money power” to win the elections.
Nanded is the home constituency of Chavan and the polls were considered crucial for his political future.
Chavan has been looking at consolidating his position in Nanded and the larger Marathwada region to fill the leadership vacuum created in Congress following Vilasrao Deshmukh’s demise.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Industries Minister Narayan Rane and other senior Congress leaders had campaigned for the Congress.
NCP leader Ajit Pawar had also held a rally during the campaign.
The Sena-BJP-RPI alliance, which had fielded candidates in 72 seats, won 16 out of them.
Its campaign witnessed a road show by Sena executive president Udhhav Thackeray’s son Aditya. MNS contested 42 seats but party chief Raj Thackeray did not campaign.
The Hyderabad-based All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen fielded 25 candidates and won 11.
Three independents also won in the elections.
The Shiv Sena had offered a pre-poll alliance to the MNS which spurned the offer.
Earlier, the Shiv Sena and the MNS had reached post-election understandings in places like Ambernath, Thane and Kalyan-Dombivali.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'