Congressmen sulk over seat swap with NCP in Raigad; Antulay backs PWP
Mumbai: The swapping of Raigad Lok Sabha seat with the NCP has not gone down well with the Congress` cadre in the district, which says the decision will have serious repercussions on the party`s prospects in the Konkan region.
"Raigad has traditionally been a Congress seat and the barometer of a party`s strength is not win or loss, but the per centage of vote share which is substantial," party leaders, who did not wish to be named, said.
"If the criteria to give away the seat was that we could not win it for the last three elections, then there are many others as well. Should we give away all these seats to our ally?" they asked.
According to them, each seat has different aspects and Peasants and Workers Party (PWP) has been a dominant force in Raigad district for the past 50 years, but the Congress presence has never been eroded.
"PWP has held the erstwhile Kolaba Lok Sabha seat for two terms each and A R Antulay for four terms," they said.
"It is wrong to say that Congress could not defeat Anant Gite in Raigad. Gite has represented the Raigad seat only in 2009 elections after delimitation. He is from Ratnagiri and the Congress is weak there.
"Gite contested from Raigad for the first time in 2009 as after delimitation, the district was divided. Alibaug and Pen are with PWP and only Shrivardhan is with NCP," they added.
They said political situation is different in every election and maintained that despite the resentment, local Congress unit will not work against NCP candidate Sunil Tatkare.
"It remains to be seen how he will respond to the Congress workers in the assembly elections later this year," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!