Congressmen sulk over seat swap with NCP in Raigad; Antulay backs PWP
Mumbai: The swapping of Raigad Lok Sabha seat with the NCP has not gone down well with the Congress` cadre in the district, which says the decision will have serious repercussions on the party`s prospects in the Konkan region.
"Raigad has traditionally been a Congress seat and the barometer of a party`s strength is not win or loss, but the per centage of vote share which is substantial," party leaders, who did not wish to be named, said.
"If the criteria to give away the seat was that we could not win it for the last three elections, then there are many others as well. Should we give away all these seats to our ally?" they asked.
According to them, each seat has different aspects and Peasants and Workers Party (PWP) has been a dominant force in Raigad district for the past 50 years, but the Congress presence has never been eroded.
"PWP has held the erstwhile Kolaba Lok Sabha seat for two terms each and A R Antulay for four terms," they said.
"It is wrong to say that Congress could not defeat Anant Gite in Raigad. Gite has represented the Raigad seat only in 2009 elections after delimitation. He is from Ratnagiri and the Congress is weak there.
"Gite contested from Raigad for the first time in 2009 as after delimitation, the district was divided. Alibaug and Pen are with PWP and only Shrivardhan is with NCP," they added.
They said political situation is different in every election and maintained that despite the resentment, local Congress unit will not work against NCP candidate Sunil Tatkare.
"It remains to be seen how he will respond to the Congress workers in the assembly elections later this year," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor