Conspiracy by rivals: Chavan on Adarsh chargesheet
Mumbai: Accusing his political rivals of trying to implicate him in the multi-crore Adarsh Housing Scam, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Wednesday said the CBI charge sheet against him was "unfortunate".
"This (CBI charge sheet) is unfortunate and unexpected," Chavan told reporters.
"The Adarsh housing is only an administrative matter. However, there is a conspiracy by my rivals to malign me. The Adarsh issue has been blown out of proportion," he charged.
"By giving the issue unwarranted publicity, my political rivals are trying to implicate me," the senior state Congress leader charged.
"Neither was I associated with allotment of land to the Adarsh society nor did I have anything to do with the list of its members," Chavan claimed.
"I have full faith in the judiciary and am confident that I will will be proved innocent and emerge out unscathed," the former Chief Minister said, adding that he would consult his legal team and decide on the further course of action on the issue.
"The truth will prevail. I have done nothing wrong. It is really unfortunate that I have been named in the charge sheet," he rued.
The agency had registered a case in the scam on January 29 last year under IPC sections including criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery and showing forged document as genuine, besides sections pertaining to Prevention of Corruption Act.
Besides Chavan, Congress leader K L Gidwani, top-ranking retired army officers Lt General P K Rampal, Major Generals A R Kumar and T K Kaul, retired brigadiers R C Sharma and M M Wanchoo are among the accused.
The late mother-in-law and sister-in-law of Chavan had flats in the society.
Chavan was Revenue Minister during 2001-03 and had dealt with files pertaining to the ownership of land. He is alleged to have recommended allotment of 40 percent flats to civilians in the society, which was said to be meant for Kargil widows and war heroes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof