Conspiracy by rivals: Chavan on Adarsh chargesheet
Mumbai: Accusing his political rivals of trying to implicate him in the multi-crore Adarsh Housing Scam, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Wednesday said the CBI charge sheet against him was "unfortunate".
"This (CBI charge sheet) is unfortunate and unexpected," Chavan told reporters.
"The Adarsh housing is only an administrative matter. However, there is a conspiracy by my rivals to malign me. The Adarsh issue has been blown out of proportion," he charged.
"By giving the issue unwarranted publicity, my political rivals are trying to implicate me," the senior state Congress leader charged.
"Neither was I associated with allotment of land to the Adarsh society nor did I have anything to do with the list of its members," Chavan claimed.
"I have full faith in the judiciary and am confident that I will will be proved innocent and emerge out unscathed," the former Chief Minister said, adding that he would consult his legal team and decide on the further course of action on the issue.
"The truth will prevail. I have done nothing wrong. It is really unfortunate that I have been named in the charge sheet," he rued.
The agency had registered a case in the scam on January 29 last year under IPC sections including criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery and showing forged document as genuine, besides sections pertaining to Prevention of Corruption Act.
Besides Chavan, Congress leader K L Gidwani, top-ranking retired army officers Lt General P K Rampal, Major Generals A R Kumar and T K Kaul, retired brigadiers R C Sharma and M M Wanchoo are among the accused.
The late mother-in-law and sister-in-law of Chavan had flats in the society.
Chavan was Revenue Minister during 2001-03 and had dealt with files pertaining to the ownership of land. He is alleged to have recommended allotment of 40 percent flats to civilians in the society, which was said to be meant for Kargil widows and war heroes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says