Contract killer was arrested for Mumbai corporator`s murder
Mumbai: An alleged contract killer was today
arrested on the charges of murdering a Congress corporator at
the behest of BJP corporator`s brother at Bhayander in
neighbouring Thane district, police said today.
Acting on a tip off, Krishnachandra Pandey alias Ajay
(34) was nabbed last night from Bhayander area in the murder
case and remanded to police custody till June 9, police added.
On May 8 morning, Mira-Bhayader Municipal Corporation
Corporator Praful Patil was allegedly stabbed 27 times and
shot dead at point blank range by Pandey and his aide in the
campus of Abhinav College in Bhayander, run by Patil`s
educational trust, they said.
Pandey shot two bullets from his revolver at Patil while
his aide Rasul Shaikh, who is still absconding, had stabbed
the victim with a sharp knife, Inspector Rajendra Mohite at
Navghar Police Station said.
During preliminary probe, Pandey revealed that Rajesh
Singh, brother of BJP corporator Munna Singh, had given him
contract to murder Patil, he added.
Though the reason for the murder was not yet clear, they
suspect it could a land dispute that could be have led to his
killing, he said.
Patil had a dispute with some people over the
construction of a building inside the premises of Abhinva
college, the officer said adding manhunt for Rajesh Singh, who
has criminal background, was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report