Contractor fined Rs 7 lakh for `defective services`
Thane: A contractor, who was given the tasks of fixing leakages, plastering and painting buildings in a housing society, has been directed to pay Rs 7 lakh fine to the society for rendering `defective services`.
The Thane District Consumer Redressal Forum has given this order to the contractor.
The case relates to Sree Swami Samartha Co-op Housing Society in Kalyan constructed in 1999, which developed leakages and other problems. The repair work was given to Maximcon Association from Bhandup in 2006 at a cost of Rs 7 lakh, which included defect liability for five years.
However, despite the repair work, there were complaints of leakages in the society building. According to the society members, the paint also started peeling out. Despite informing the contractor about the problem, he did not respond, they said.
The society also got an audit of the work done by an auditor, who opined that the work was defective. Following this, the society approached the consumer forum.
In his submission, the contractor alleged that it was a "tactic" by the society to avoid additional payment for some extra work.
Accepting the complaint made by the housing society, president of the forum R B Somani and member Jyoti Iyer noted that the contractor was putting forth "acceptable" arguments.
The forum dismissed his argument and ordered the contractor to pay Rs 4 lakh to the society for repair work and Rs 3 lakh towards compensation. It also ordered him to pay Rs 10,000 as legal expenses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog