Cooperate with police, CM appeals, as city welcomes Ganesh
Mumbai: Greeting people on the occasion of the 10-day Ganesh festival which began on Monday, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan appealed the devotees to co-operate with the police in maintenance of security.
"Everybody should co-operate with the police. We cannot rule out the possibility of any untoward incident. Anti-social elements try to take advantage during such festivals. People should be alert," Chavan said, talking to reporters after installing Ganesh idol at his official residence `Varsha` here.
On the statement by Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh which drew flak from Shiv Sena, Chavan said he would talk with the top police officer.
The commissioner had said that Ganesh Mandals should ensure that women devotees are not molested inside the crowded pandals. If such an incident takes place, the concerned Mandal may not be allowed next year to organise to put up a pandal, he had said.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde also installed the idol of the elephant-headed god at his Bandra residence. Shinde said he prayed to the lord for peace and prosperity in the country.
People of the metropolis greeted its favourite god with enthusiasm. The slogan `Ganapati Bappa Moraya` rented the air as devotees brought the idol home for installation.
In view of intelligence inputs about possible terror strikes, Mumbai police have drawn an extensive security plan to maintain a hawk-eyed vigil for the next ten days.
Police have also launched the initiative `Mumbai Ke Liye 1 Minute`, where citizens are told to take out a minute to look around to spot a suspicious person, object or vehicle, and alert the police on 100 or 022-22633333.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’