Cooperate with police, CM appeals, as city welcomes Ganesh
Mumbai: Greeting people on the occasion of the 10-day Ganesh festival which began on Monday, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan appealed the devotees to co-operate with the police in maintenance of security.
"Everybody should co-operate with the police. We cannot rule out the possibility of any untoward incident. Anti-social elements try to take advantage during such festivals. People should be alert," Chavan said, talking to reporters after installing Ganesh idol at his official residence `Varsha` here.
On the statement by Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh which drew flak from Shiv Sena, Chavan said he would talk with the top police officer.
The commissioner had said that Ganesh Mandals should ensure that women devotees are not molested inside the crowded pandals. If such an incident takes place, the concerned Mandal may not be allowed next year to organise to put up a pandal, he had said.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde also installed the idol of the elephant-headed god at his Bandra residence. Shinde said he prayed to the lord for peace and prosperity in the country.
People of the metropolis greeted its favourite god with enthusiasm. The slogan `Ganapati Bappa Moraya` rented the air as devotees brought the idol home for installation.
In view of intelligence inputs about possible terror strikes, Mumbai police have drawn an extensive security plan to maintain a hawk-eyed vigil for the next ten days.
Police have also launched the initiative `Mumbai Ke Liye 1 Minute`, where citizens are told to take out a minute to look around to spot a suspicious person, object or vehicle, and alert the police on 100 or 022-22633333.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump